Word for the day by Christian Education Forum
Christian witness among people of other faiths
Mathew 5: 13-16
Vs 13 You are the salt of the Earth.
One of the most famous metaphors mentioned by Jesus Christ is that of us being the Salt and Light in the world. And the times of troubles that we see around us, requires that we reach out as Salt and Light to the world that needs Peace.
Salt has many connotations in history as well as in science. The Roman soldiers were paid in salt, the word ‘salary’ comes from the Latin word ‘salarium’ which means ‘salt-money’. When a person is called the ‘salt of the earth’, it means that the person is straightforward, genuine, useful and without hypocrisy.
· Salt is used as a preservative and as believers we are required to act as preservatives on earth where we protect people and the world around from spoilage. Christian values require us to support and protect each other.
· Salt is used as flavoring and hence Christian faith and values will help us be content and happy with our lives in times of trouble.
· Salt heals wounds. As Christian believers, we are adept at pointing the sin in others even before we see ourselves, but what we need to offer to the world is healing. A sinned person is already hurt and we tend to stone them even more. Let us be healers.
· Salt creates thirst. The more we spread Christian values across the world, people need to feel thirsty to long for God which is possible only when we embody these values. It’s our actions that speak more than our words.
· Light dispels darkness. Darkness indicates the negative thoughts that we might get caught into. It is necessary for us to eliminate this darkness within ourselves first and then spread it to the world. If we consider the worldly pleasures as worthy, the chances are that we would lead a selfish life detrimental to others and we can never spread peace and happiness around.
· Light gives us a warning sign. We are left in this world to understand what is around us. We need to experience everything around us, which might be beneficial or detrimental. The light that has illuminated those who went before us guides us and warns us from dangers. The Scriptures help us understand the warning signs around us and care for ourselves and others. We need to become torchbearers warning the world of the impending danger of our wrong choices of life.
Hence our witness to people of other faiths is to be distinct from the rest of the world spreading values of love, care and peace. We are called to make a difference in the specific area where our strengths are and what we feel passionate and concerned about. Be the salt and light wherever you are and let the world experience Christian values through our thoughts, words and deeds.
May the Lord help us all be the Salt and Light on earth.
Lord, you created us with a purpose. You taught us that we are the salt and light of the earth. Let us be the Bible the world is reading. Cleanse us and mould us. In Jesus name we pray Amen.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
Let us be mindful of the needs of others. Do we bring light or darkness to this world ?
- Rev. Johnson P. Abraham, Mar Thoma Church Staten Island
Christian Education Forum, Diocese of NAE of the Mar Thoma Church