Word for the day by Christian Education Forum
Believing in the Risen Christ
1 Kings 17:17-24
Vs. 24 So the woman said to Elijah, “Now I know that you are a man of God, and that the word of the Lord in your mouth is truth.”
Recently, I read a story in “Our Daily Bread” about a mother who tragically lost a teenager. She said, “I can’t figure it out, I don’t know if I can believe anymore. What does it all mean?” There are no easy answers to such concerns, but for those who have trust in the risen Christ, there is hope.
In I Kings 17 the widow’s son fell ill and died. The widow’s reaction was similar to the mother in the above story. Elijah, however, trusted God and cried out to Him in prayer “my God, return this child’s life into him”. God rewards Elijah’s faith and the boy is revived. The widow reaffirms what we see in verse 24, “Now I know that you are a man of God and that the word of the Lord from your mouth is the truth”.
The fundamental principle of Christian faith is the belief in the risen Christ. When we face trials in life we should follow Elijah’s example and cry out to the risen Christ. The risen Christ assures us:
• God has accepted Christ’s sacrifice for our sins. When God raised Jesus from the dead, it was His stamp of “paid in full” on the invoice of our sin debt.
• There is life after death. Jesus said in John 11:25-26 “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.”
• He is with us in the Present. No matter what trials and tribulations we face in our lives, if you trust in the risen Lord, his hand will rest on your shoulder to give you peace and hope in any situation.
• We have an advocate in heaven. Jesus sits at the right hand of the Father and advocates on our behalf that our faith in Him should never be in vain.
• We can look forward to a new birth into a living hope. Our new bodies will be like Christ’s resurrected body: incorruptible, powerful, not subject to disease, weakness or weariness;
• He will return as our Redeemer King. After His resurrection, Jesus, ascended into heaven to take his rightful place of authority at the right hand of God. It is His promise that He will return to take us to his forever Kingdom of bliss.
Oh Lord, help me to trust you at all times. Please blot out my doubts and replace it with absolute faith in you. Amen
THOUGHT FOR THE DAYWhen troubles arise, place your trust in the risen Christ
Mathew Lukose, Epiphany MTC, NY
Christian Education Forum, Diocese of NAE of the Mar Thoma Church